Are you making the most out of your salad menu? Observations from Unilever Foodsolutions have indicated that operators lack the enthusiasm that consumers have for salads yet considering salads are within the top three meals consumed out of home in every channel it would seem that developing an exciting salad menu is a potentially profitable move for caterers.
Research has shown that consumers are looking for freshness, variety, healthy options and a choice of dressings and condiments when it comes to salads. It has also been highlighted that many consumers perceive oil-based dressings to be healthier than other dressings.
However, there are several challenges involved in making good vinaigrettes from scratch. Not only is it time consuming but the number of ingredients required, of which some are speciality ingredients that are difficult to source, can make it costly.
And once made, a limited shelf life presents wastage issues.
In creating its new range of Hellmann's Vinaigrettes, Unilever Foodsolutions developed flavour combinations that were specially chosen for their difficulty and cost to prepare if they were to be re-created, featuring speciality ingredients that have been sourced from origins renowned for best in class.
Buy It! has teamed up with Unilever Foodsolutions and 3663 Catering Equipment to offer readers the chance to win a Lincat Refrigerated Display Showcase worth £1,500 in which to present your salads, and the full range of Hellmann's Vinaigrettes.
HOW TO ENTER
One lucky reader who can answer the question below correctly will win this prize. All entries must be submitted on by 31 July 2010. Entrants can send a postcard stating their name, job title, company name and address, contact telephone number and email address to Buy It! Hellmann's Competition, Caterer and Hotelkeeper, Quadrant House, The Quadrant, Sutton, Surrey, SM2 5AS or enter online below..
What are consumers looking for when it comes to salads?
(A) a choice of dressings and condiments
(B) a choice of wines and spirits
(C) a choice of crockery and cutlery
The winner will receive a Lincat Refrigerated Display Showcase, the full range of Hellmann's Vinaigrettes and a copy of The Best Dressed Recipe Ideas to provide creative inspiration.
This SCR785 model, measuring 785x750x665mm, is of stainless steel construction with large glass display area and base mounted refrigeration for all-round visibility. Features include precise thermostatic control with digital display to hold food at 3°C-7°C in ambient conditions up to 25°C and 60% relative humidity and daylight-balanced illumination with easy change light tubes.
The range of Hellmann's Vinaigrettes comprises Balsamic Vinaigrette, with balsamic vinegar from Modena; Basil Vinaigrette, with Acacia honey and ginger; Citrus Vinaigrette, with lemon juice from Murcia; Raspberry Vinaigrette, with blackcurrant juice; and Sesame Soy Vinaigrette, with roasted sesame seeds.
For more information on Hellman's Vinaigrettes contact Unilever Foodsolutions on 0800 783 3728 or visit www.unileverfoodsolutions.co.uk.
|AND THE WINNER IS…The winner of the competition to win a Maidaid Evolution pass-through dishwasher in the 30 April issue of *Buy It!* is Emma Langmaid, director, Dish restaurant, Saffron Walden..|
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. This competition is not open to employees or agents of Reed Business Information, or Unilever Foodsolutions.
2. We reserve the right to change the prize without notice and no cash alternative will be offered.
3. The winner will be selected at random from correct entries, and the publisher's decision is final.
4. By entering the competition you are agreeing for your contact details (including email) to be passed on to the sponsor Unilever Foodsolutions.
5. Reed Business Information will use the contact information you provide to communicate with you on behalf of the Caterer Group. We may also use the information you have provided to send direct marketing material from ourselves relating to other products and services that may be of interest to you. Your information may also be disclosed to other companies who wish to send you information about their products and services including our sponsor, Unilever Foodsolutions. This could involve data transfer to countries outside the European Economic Area. For further information and choices please visit our data protection page at www.reedbusiness.co.uk/dataprotection or write to us at RBI, Freepost RCC2619, Haywards Heath, RH16 3BR, UK.
6. The winner's name will appear in Caterer and Hotelkeeper and on Caterersearch.com.