While the theory of induction cooking has been around for many years, it is only recently that improvements in the equipment and the costs have made it a realistic alternative to gas.
But what is it about induction that makes it so special? First, it is faster than a standard gas or electric hob. Second, it allows for a more precise and instant control. And third, and arguably most important, it uses significantly less power.
Nowadays, many commercial pans are just as at home on an induction unit as they are on gas and electric, meaning that you do not necessarily need to replace your cookware. Even stainless-steel cookware is suitable if it has a ferrous base.
Caterer has teamed up with Manitowoc Foodservice to offer readers the chance to win the perfect introduction to induction cooking - a Garland Induction BA2500 single-ring induction top, worth more than £1,300.
The BA2500 is the ideal way to discover the benefits of induction cooking. Small enough to be used for both back and front of house, the unit can be plugged into a normal 13amp single-phase power supply and features an easy-to-use rotary switch for accurate control. It also contains overheat sensors to help prevent damage if a pan runs dry.
The unit has a 2.5kW rating and is built with a robust stainless-steel casing and a Ceran ceramic glass worktop.
For more information on Manitowoc Foodservice call 01753 485900 or visit www.manitowocfsuk.com.
HOW TO ENTER
One lucky reader who can answer the question above correctly will win this prize. All entries must be submitted by 26 November 2010.
Caterer and Hotelkeeper, Quadrant House, The Quadrant, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5AS or simply enter online using the form below.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. This competition is not open to employees or agents of Reed Business Information or Manitowoc Foodservice.
2. We reserve the right to change the prize without notice and no cash alternative will be offered.
3. The winner will be selected at random from correct entries, and the publisher's decision is final.
4. Reed Business Information will use the contact information you provide to communicate with you on behalf of the Caterer Group. We may also use the information you have provided to send direct marketing material from ourselves relating to other products and services that may be of interest to you. Your information may also be disclosed to other companies who wish to send you information about their products and services including our sponsor, Manitowoc Foodservice. This could involve data transfer to countries outside the European Economic Area. For further information and choices please visit our data protection page at http://www.reedbusiness.co.uk/dataprotection" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">www.reedbusiness.co.uk/dataprotection - or write to us at RBI, Freepost RCC2619, Haywards Heath, RH16 3BR, UK.
5. The winner's name will appear in Caterer and Hotelkeeper and on Caterersearch.com.