Go digital thanks to LG offering readers the chance to win an LG 300c 32-in LCD TV.
The switchover from analogue to digital TV kicked off in the West Country and will roll out across the UK, TV region by TV region over the next three years. By 2012 the whole of the UK will be operating on a digital only platform.
Digital TV will increase the choice of channels available from around five to around 70. Optional additional channels and services from providers such as Freeview, FreeSat and/or Sky Digital including premium rate movies and sports programming will be available depending on geographic location. Plus radio, broadband and telephony will also be on offer as will new features such as on-screen listings, interactivity, audio description and subtitling for people with visual and audio impairments.
So what do hotel operators need to be doing now in order to get ready for digital? "The worst thing to do is to sit back and do nothing," says Oliver East, manager for LG Hotel TV, UK and Ireland. "Switchover affects any TV that receives its signal from an aerial (as opposed to broadband or satellite). So most hotel operators with a TV offering will be affected in some way."
For some hotels the infrastructure delivering the TV signal and the equipment in rooms will need to be upgraded. "Unless TV systems are updated, your guests may wake up to find that they have no access to television services when the analogue TV signals are switched off," says East.
LG's Premier Partner programme brings together systems integrators, internet and digital entertainment providers, TV, audio visual and telecoms specialists to provide a single source solution for hotel operators providing pre-agreed service levels, to hold stock, to manage installation and maintenance and to provide emergency call out.
Buy It! has teamed up with LG to offer readers the chance to win an LG 300c 32-inch LCD TV
HOW TO ENTER
One lucky reader who can answer the question below correctly will win this prize. All entries must be submitted by 20 October 2009. Entrants can send a postcard including their name, job title, company name and address, contact telephone number and email address to Buy It!/LG Competition, Caterer and Hotelkeeper, Quadrant House, The Quadrant, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5AS, or enter online below
By which year will the whole of the UK be operating on a digital only platform?
The winner will receive an LG 300c 32-inch LCD TV set up for home use.
The TV is the non-interactive version of one of a new series from LG specifically adapted to fit the specialist requirements of the hotel sector. They come in five screen sizes and interactive versions have key features such as Hotel Mode which enables hoteliers to block guests from changing TV settings and LinkLoader for easy and quick programming, plus an automatic off if the TV is not used for a certain time and volume control to prevent neighbouring guests being disturbed.
AND THE WINNER IS…
The winner of the competition in the 31 July issue of Buy It! to win an Instanta sous vide machine is Bruno Gautier, managing director of the Hare Restaurant, Lambourn Woodlands, Hungerford, Berkshire.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This competition is not open to employees or agents of Reed Business Information, or LG.
- We reserve the right to change the prize without notice and no cash alternative will be offered.
- The winner will be selected at random from correct entries, and the publisher's decision is final.
- Reed Business Information will use the contact information you provide to communicate with you on behalf of the Caterer Group. We may also use the information you have provided to send direct marketing material from ourselves relating to other products and services that may be of interest to you. Your information may also be disclosed to other companies who wish to send you information about their products and services including our sponsor, LG. This could involve data transfer to countries outside the European Economic Area. For further information and choices please visit our data protection page at www.reedbusiness.co.uk/dataprotection or write to us at RBI, Freepost RCC2619, Haywards Heath, RH16 3BR, UK.
- The winner's name will appear in Caterer and Hotelkeeper and on Caterersearch.com.