John Grabecki from BNY Mellon has been named champion of the Great Sausage Roll Off contest held at the Red Lion pub in Barnes for the second time.
The annual competition, which raises funds for children's hospice charity Shooting Star Chase, saw 16 chefs compete to create the best sausage roll.
He was declared winner by the judges with a roll named ‘Ritz and Robs' consisting of a rabbit sausage roll with loin in the middle surrounded by boudin noir and minced pork shoulder with mustard, honey and confit shallot, served with a port and rabbit parfait and rabbit belly bacon.
The judging panel was made up of: Oliver Peyton, co-founder of Peyton and Byrne; Phil Howard, chef patron of Elystan Street, Chelsea; Eric Lanlard owner of Cake Boy, Battersea; and Kate Ovens, presenter for Lad Bible.
Second place went to Charlie Hodson for ‘The Jess' in honour of Jessica Jane Applegate, the Olympic Paralympian, while third place was awarded to Leigh Evans who cooked ‘Ashton Piggy in the Middle'.
Grabecki, who won the Roll Off in 2016, said: "I feel amazing about winning for the second time."
The finalists included:
- Si Toft, the Dining Room, Abersoch
- Leigh Evans, Methuen Arms, Wiltshire
- Phil Harrison (2016 Roll Off Winner), Prep Cook Eat Supper Club
- Charlie Hodson (2017 Roll Off Winner), Charlies Norfolk Food Heroes
- Adrian Oliver and Steve Marsh, Cornish Duck Truck, Cornwall
- Chris Brumby (2014 Roll Off Winner), MYPIE
- Mat Follas, Bramble Cafe & Deli, Poundbury
- Anton Manganaro, BAFTA 195 Piccadilly, London
- Mark Thornhill, King's Head, Hursley
- Rob Allsworth, East Kent College
- Rob Taylor, the Compasses Inn, Crundale
- James Strawbridge, consultant chef, Cornwall
- Sam Bryant, Coal Rooms, Peckham
- John Grabecki (2016 Roll Off Winner)
- Brendan Fyldes, Green & Fortunes at Sea Containers
- Jonny Backhouse, White Horse, Richmond
- Oliver Chadwick, the Market Café, Knutsford
- Ben Williams, the White Swan, Farringdon
Videos from The Caterer archives