Commercial laundry industry is 'on its knees', says TSA chief

06 April 2020 by
Commercial laundry industry is 'on its knees', says TSA chief

Up to 75% of the laundry industry "is on its knees", because work has dried up, according to David Stevens, chief executive of the Textile Services Association (TSA).

"That's the 75% that used to look after the hospitality, sports, leisure and similar markets. The other 25% is also on its knees – not through lack of work, but because it's working flat-out, with demand ever-growing. That's the part looking after the NHS and other key industries."

"Both parts of our industry are desperate," he adds. "On the one hand, the thousands of laundries looking after the hospitality and similar markets have seen their work disappear, literally to zero. However, because they are not considered as part of the hospitality industry, they can't get the support they will need to survive the crisis.

David Stevens
David Stevens

"Meanwhile, the laundries working for the NHS and other essential services, such as food producers, pharmaceutical manufacturers and laboratories, are being asked to ramp up their operations."

Rona Tait, owner of TDS Commercial, an independent laundry in London with customers in hospitality and sports organisations, said: "In the space of one week 100% of our clients stopped trading. It was such a hard decision for us to close. Laundries are used to carrying on, regardless of the obstacles. Stopping work and just locking up is very unnatural and painful."

Rona Tait
Rona Tait

All the staff at TDS have been furloughed. Tait added: "I'm in touch with them all two or three times a week, trying to allay their fears. I'm doing my best to reassure them, but I do need finance to carry on supporting the company through this time. I have applied for the £25,000 grant through Hounslow council, but I don't think TDS will be considered a hospitality company. I had a brief chat with my business bank manger regarding the government business interruption loan scheme, but I'm not confident the bank won't ask for personal guarantees."

It's estimated that the textile services industry contributes a total of £1.3b in GVA (gross value added) to the UK economy, and that it supports around 28,000 FTE jobs.

"Laundry workers do a tough job and don't get the recognition they deserve," Stevens continued. "We're a Cinderella industry, most people forget that so many other businesses rely on us.

"Laundries that are supplying the NHS will almost certainly need help to get through the peak of the crisis. Meanwhile, if the government doesn't support the laundries that service the hospitality industries, when the recovery comes, restaurants, hotels and leisure centres will either not be able to function or they will be left with almost insurmountable hygiene and cleaning challenges."

TagsLaundry and TSA
The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Check mark icon
Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.


Ad Blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an adblocker and – although we support freedom of choice – we would like to ask you to enable ads on our site. They are an important revenue source which supports free access of our website's content, especially during the COVID-19 crisis.

trade tracker pixel tracking