28 Market Place
28 Market Place, the new restaurant, bakery and wine shop from husband and wife team Vanessa and Ben Crofton (the latter a former Babington House director) and Dan Fletcher (former head chef at Fenchurch at Sky Garden in the City of London), has opened in Somerton, Somerset.
28 Market Place celebrates British produce with a modern European menu. It serves bread, pastries and filled sourdough doughnuts, all made in the in-house bakery, which is headed by bakery manager Alba Lage. An adjoining wine shop carries up to 100 wines not found on the main wine list, which can be enjoyed in the restaurant or to take away.
The site is housed in a collection of 17th-century, Grade II*-listed and 18th-century buildings, which have been restored by Somerset-based Thread Architects. Original window frames, flagstones and staircases have been salvaged and an internal courtyard has been created.
- Opened 3 January
- Covers Restaurant: 26; courtyard: 18; bakery: 18; wine shop: 8
- Head chef Dan Fletcher
- Typical dishes Fallow deer, beetroot, red cabbage and preserved blackcurrants; pollock with wood-fired leeks, St Austell bay mussels and sea vegetables; stuffed harlequin squash, hen of the woods mushroom and confit egg yolk
- Website https://28marketplace.co.uk
Apple Butter Café is located in London’s Seven Dials. The venue, which features an apple tree inside, serves coffee, sandwiches and salads, as well as Middle-Eastern inspired desserts, cakes and pastries.
- Covers 65
- Founders Saleh and Mohammad Alayan, and Faycal Abdel Khalek
- Typical dish Goat labneh salad with mesclun and baby spinach
- Website www.applebuttercafe.com
In Turkish, ‘Baraka’ translates to an old wooden home where people socialise, live and eat. The all-day Anatolian restaurant and bar has opened in the City of London, serving Turkish breakfast, lunch and dinner using spices found along the Silk Route and ingredients cooked over charcoal in a stone oven.
- Typical dishes Slow-braised shoulder of lamb tagine, served on the bone with prunes, apricots, almonds and rice; 24-hour marinated chicken
- Website www.barakarestaurant.co.uk
The Spa at Carden
The Spa at Carden is a 4,500 sq m standalone spa within the grounds of Carden Park hotel in Cheshire. The spa houses two large vitality pools, a thermal suite and a beauty lounge, as well as one of the UK’s largest spa gardens and an all-weather Bollinger Champagne bar. Treatments have been designed by Elemental Herbology, incorporating herbs from the spa garden.
- Spa director Steve Ewing
- Website www.cardenpark.co.uk
CCR x Savoy
Caravan Coffee Roasters, Caravan’s wholesale business, has taken over the operation of the Savoy’s Melba café, replacing it with a new coffee shop concept following a six-week makeover. The site serves two espresso coffees from the Caravan range, two filter coffees and a hand-brewed Geisha coffee alongside batch-brewed coffees. The menu also includes juices, pastries and bagels.
- Covers 10
- Website www.caravancoffeeroasters.co.uk
Marriott International’s millennial brand Moxy has opened its eighth UK hotel, in Southampton. Guests are welcomed with a complimentary cocktail before checking into four guest room types. The self-service B&F (Beverage & Food) concept offers flatbreads, fresh paninis and salads.
- Bedrooms 208
- Operator Belvar
- Starting room rate £69
- Website www.marriott.co.uk
Leicester’s Great Central Square development has welcomed a dual-branded hotel comprising Accor’s Novotel and Adagio. The site, owned by Leicester-based developer Charles Street Buildings Group, features the new 120-cover NineB restaurant, led by head chef Stewart Westwater.
- Bedrooms Novotel: 154; Adagio: 96
- General manager James Conaghan
- Operator Interstate Hotels & Resorts
- Website www.accor.com
You need to create an account to read this article. It's free and only requires a few basic details.
Already subscribed? Log In