Two restaurants have been closed for breaching Covid-19 restrictions by a Lancashire council using new powers introduced by the government last month.
Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council ordered Waheed's buffet and banqueting hall in Randall Street and Roberto's bar and bistro in Richmond Terrace to close on Monday.
The previous day police said they had broken up a wedding reception of more than 100 people at Waheed's buffet and banqueting hall.
The area is currently subject to enhanced restrictions on households meeting and the council said it used the powers as part of its efforts to prevent a full lockdown of the area.
Superintendent Andrea Barrow of Lancashire Police said: "We understand that times are currently difficult for businesses across the borough and we know that the majority are complying with the coronavirus guidelines.
"We will continue to engage with people and explain the rules, but we do want to be really clear that we will enforce them where we need to, especially around repeat offenders, significant gatherings and people who deliberately flout the regulations and put others at risk."
Councillor Phil Riley, deputy leader of the council, added: "These closures are very much a last resort and were carried out to protect the public. We want all our businesses to do as well as possible and we are giving them our full support, but the health and safety of people in the borough is the most important thing.
"The restrictions put in place by the government must be followed if we want to avoid any further lockdown measures. Any breaches of the current restrictions will be taken very seriously."
The closure orders will be in place for a month but reviewed every seven days. The venues can appeal to a magistrates' court if they wish to under the legislation announced by the prime minister to enable targeted, local action.
Nottingham Council announced this week that its officers would be carrying out spot inspections across the city to ensure businesses were complying with Covid-19 requirements.