Businesses warned of HMRC fine for pre-mixed cocktail deliveries without proper licence

11 March 2021 by
Businesses warned of HMRC fine for pre-mixed cocktail deliveries without proper licence

As hospitality businesses have pivoted to delivery services during lockdown for an alternative revenue stream, UK law firm TLT has warned operators they need to ensure they have permission from HMRC for the off-sale of pre-mixed cocktails or risk a fine.

HMRC can impose penalties if operators are engaging in these practices without the necessary paperwork, called a compounder's licence. The licence is necessary even if a business is mixing the cocktails at an on-licensed premises, so long as the sale is for customers elsewhere.

Bars, restaurants, pubs and drink brands are increasingly offering cocktail home deliveries as a way of continuing to trade during the pandemic and a number of new pre-mixed cocktail brands have also launched over the last year to cater for demand.

According to HMRC, a compounder is when you "combine or mix plain spirits or previously compounded spirits with any other substance, except water, so as to distinctly alter the character or flavour of the plain spirits or compounded spirits, producing a new compounded spirit".

Piers Warne, legal director at TLT, said: "A lot of operators don't realise they need a compounder's licence to legally offer this kind of service. It has largely flown under the radar, but with the recent rise in home deliveries of alcohol and specialist cocktail makers looking to supply their creations directly to consumers at home, the genie is well and truly out of the bottle. Remember this does not apply to spirits sold unmixed for mixing at home, only pre-mixed cocktails.

"Operators could be in for a nasty surprise if they are deemed by HMRC to have been too slow to make the application. There is no charge for applying, so subject to complying with the requirements for producing the products in accordance with the law, this is an administrative process only.

"Cocktail makers looking to offer this service will also need a premises licence to sell alcohol. For those who already have a premises licence, they will need to ensure they are permitted to provide off-sales without restrictions that would otherwise prevent this activity. The current temporary Covid deregulation of off-sales, along with the suspension of conditions, will assist the majority of premises licence holders, but it is worth seeking advice to ensure that this applies where otherwise your licence would not allow it."

The compounder's licence also applies in Scotland.

Stephen McGowan, partner and head of licensing (Scotland) at TLT, added: "In addition to the HMRC permissions, in Scotland if you are doing home deliveries of cocktails, or any alcohol, this facility should be clearly stated on your premises or occasional licence under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 to avoid any issues with the licensing board. There are also special rules you must observe for home delivery, including keeping records and following age verification processes."

Businesses can apply for the licence on the website. See information on who needs to apply at note 14 here.

Photo: Shutterstock

The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Check mark icon
Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.


Ad Blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an adblocker and – although we support freedom of choice – we would like to ask you to enable ads on our site. They are an important revenue source which supports free access of our website's content, especially during the COVID-19 crisis.

trade tracker pixel tracking