The Bocuse d'Or UK Academy has revealed a stellar line up of chef judges who will select the candidate that will go forward to compete in the European heats in June 2020.
The list includes Adam Bennett, executive chef of the Michelin-starred Cross at Kenilworth and the UK's most successful Bocuse d'Or candidate to date, missing a place on the podium by just six points.
Philipp Tessier, Bocuse d'Or Silver winner in 2013, coach for the winning Team USA in 2015 and former sous chef at the French Laundry will also help decide the candidate for Team UK.
He is among the four honorary judges who will sit at the central table alongside Pierre Koffmann, Simon Rogan and Brian Turner. Another two sets of four judges will adjudicate the terrine and chicken dishes respectively.
Those vying to become the UK representative will compete in the first round at the Restaurant Show in London on Monday (30 September), where one will be chosen to represent the UK in the European heats in June 2020 before proceeding to the international competition in Lyon in 2021.
The full list of judges for the Bocuse d'Or UK National Selection 2019 includes:
- Adam Bennett, executive chef, Cross at Kenilworth
- Alyn Williams, executive chef, Alyn Williams at the Westbury
- Ashley Palmer Watts, chef director, Dinner by Heston
- Brian Turner CBE, honorary life vice president, Bocuse d'Or Team UK; UK President 1989–2018
- John Williams MBE, executive chef, the Ritz London; technical director, Bocuse d'Or Team UK; Bocuse d'Or candidate 2001
- Jonny Lake, former executive chef at the Fat Duck; executive chef at forthcoming Trivet restaurant in London
- Nick Vadis, culinary director of Compass Group; Bocuse d'Or Team UK coach 2010–2014
- Philipp Tessier, 2013 Bocuse d'Or Silver winner; coach for the winning Team USA in 2015; former sous chef, the French Laundry
- Pierre Koffmann, held three Michelin stars at La Tante Claire for 15 years
- Simon Hulstone, Bocuse d'Or candidate 2009-2011; Roux scholar 2008; chef owner, Elephant restaurant, Torquay
- Simon Rogan, Bocuse d'Or Team UK President; chef patron, L'Enclume, Roganic and Aulis
- Tom Aikens, chef owner, Tom's Kitchen
- Tom Phillips, head chef, Restaurant Story; Bocuse d'Or UK candidate 2019
- Tom Sellers, chef owner and founder, Restaurant Story; executive chef, the Lickfold Inn
- Tony Wright, Bocuse d'Or candidate 2016; chef lecturer, University College Birmingham; MCA winner 2017 Culinary Olympics
The four chefs competing in the Bocuse d'Or National Selection at The Restaurant Show will be:
- Ian Musgrave, sous chef at the Ritz London and British Culinary Federation Chef of the Year 2018
- Luke Selby, Roux Scholar 2017, National Chef of the Year 2018 and Great British Menu winner 2019
- Robert Sussex from ISS and National Chef of the Year 2019 semi-finalist
- Ruth Hansom, head chef at Pomona, Young National Chef of the Year winner 2017 and Royal Academy of Culinary Arts Michael Bourdin Scholar 2016