The latest restaurant openings in London and around the UK.
Hoppers King’s Cross
Hoppers, the JKS Restaurants brand inspired by the home cooking and roadside stalls of Sri Lanka and southern India, has opened a third site, this time in London’s King’s Cross. Interiors feature an iron-clad concrete island bar, terracotta-toned floors, Batik patterns on the ceilings and cast-iron framed glass lanterns.
The menu offers dishes that are exclusive to the new site, with bar bites and short eats such as chilli and curry leaf peanuts, ambulthial cutlets and sizzling beef poriyal.
The drinks menu has a selection of beers on tap, including two of Hoppers’ own brewed beers – the Hoppers SPL (Sri Lankan Pale Lager) in collaboration with Camden Town Brewery, and a toddy ale in collaboration with the Salt Beer Factory in Bradford.
Cocktails include sharing punches and coolers inspired by 1960s Tiki-style drinks. Tap cocktails include a spiced nitro cold-brew espresso martini made using Sri Lankan coffee, and a house-fermented ginger beer with Ceylon arrack and lime.
- Opened 11 February
- Operator JKS Restaurants
- Design Article Design Studio
- Typical dishes Southern fish curry; tempered bean and cashew kari; Jaffna isso vade with curd chilli; mussel hodi and string hoppers
Roaster and retailer Beanberry Coffee has opened a second coffee bar in London’s Holborn, joining its first site in Kingston upon Thames. As well as four espressos, a filter coffee menu and cold brew, Beanberry serves leaf teas, organic cold-press juices and a small selection of cakes, pastries and lunch and breakfast items.
- Founder Edward Grace
- Design Hart Miller Design
The team behind NYC-inspired food and cocktail concept Dirty Bones has launched a permanent vegan site in London’s Westfield White City. Plant-based twists of the brand’s signature dishes include Dáppa soft serve ice-cream made from almonds and cashews, and Beyond Burger and Moving Mountains meat alternatives.
- Founder Cokey Sulkin
- Design Macaulay Sinclair
Fusion pizzeria East West has opened near Tufnell Park in London, marrying southern Italystyle pizzas with the flavours of northern India.
- Founder Devinder Singh
- Covers 48
- Typical dishes Butter chicken pizza with semi-dried tomatoes, truffled oyster mushrooms and fennel pesto; masala jackfruit pizza with black olive tapenade and grilled peppers; paneer bruschetta; arancini
Mambow has opened in London’s Shoreditch, serving seasonal vegetable bowls, a weekend brunch menu and evening supper clubs.
- Founder Abby Lee
- Design Leticia Houston
- Typical dishes Frittatas; coconut yogurt bowls; pastries; ‘chick flick’ with black rice, za’taar sprouts, roasted beets, orange miso, grilled chicken, salsa verde; ‘beet it’, with farro tabbouleh, raw and grilled fennel, charred broccoli, beetroot patty, harissa
Tart & Lobster
The Hilton Glasgow hotel has opened a new restaurant with lobster as the star of the menu. The menu also includes Himalayan salt-aged Scotch beef and the venue features nautical-themed artwork on the walls, clam-shell shaped seats and tartan fabric.
- Head chef Rohan Wadke
- Restaurant manager Yasmine Gibb
- Typical dishes Lobster Newburg with cognac and cream; lobster Thermidor; lobster Kiev
Following its first opening in Loughton, Essex, in 2018, Wing Shack has opened its first London site in Clerkenwell.
- Covers 30
- Founder Joshua Jarvis
- Typical dishes Honey and sesame chicken wings; tangy buffalo wings; smoky barbecue dip; blue cheese dip; veggie burgers with charred halloumi or soy-marinated mushroom; Larry’s cheesecake topped with fresh raspberry
You need to create an account to read this article. It's free and only requires a few basic details.
Already subscribed? Log In