A woman with a severe peanut allergy suffered a fatal anaphylactic shock after dining at a west London restaurant.
Tania Kaur Khasriya had been dining in a restaurant in Southall in July 2018 when she ate peanut. She passed away four years later having never regained consciousness.
The 24-year-old student from Ealing had been diagnosed with a deadly nut allergy in 1998 when she was a year old.
An inquest into her death at West London Coroners Court heard that Khasriya had been immediately rushed to Ealing Hospital for treatment, but after her condition failed to improve, she was relocated to Chalfont Lodge Nursing Centre in Buckinghamshire.
The centre is a purpose-built residential and nursing care facility that provides help for people with neurological conditions, physical disabilities and dementia.
Palliative care was withdrawn in April and Khasriya passed away on 27 April 2022. Cause of death was been given as 1a) Persistent disorder of consciousness, 1b) Hypoxic brain injury and 1c) Anaphylaxis due to peanut allergy.
Calling it a "complex inquiry", coroner Lydia Brown adjourned the inquest to a further date. The hearing will examine reports from the palliative care consultant at the care home, as well as reports provided by the London Ambulance Service of the original anaphylactic shock.
Reporting by Holly Evans.
You need to create an account to read this article. It's free and only requires a few basic details.
Already subscribed? Log In