Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

Cameron House hotel admits safety failings over fatal fire

22 January 2021 by
Cameron House hotel admits safety failings over fatal fire

Cameron House hotel has admitted safety failings over a fire which started in a cupboard and claimed the lives of two guests.

Simon Midgley, 32, and Richard Dyson, 38, from London, died in the blaze at the five-AA-star, 136-bedroom property on the banks of Loch Lomond on 18 December 2017.

More than 200 guests were evacuated from the building, including a family of two adults and a child who were rescued by ladder and taken to hospital in Glasgow but later discharged.

Dumbarton Sheriff Court heard today (22 January) that the fire started after a night porter emptied ash and embers from a fuel fire into a polythene bag and placed it in a cupboard that contained combustibles including kindling and newspapers.

Cameron House Resort, the owner and operator of the hotel, admitted failing to take the fire safety measures necessary to ensure the safety of employees and guests.

It admitted two charges of breaching the Fire (Scotland) Act 2005.

Advocate depute Michael Meehan QC told the court: "On 18 December, (porter) Christopher O'Malley removed ash and ember from the fire, put it in a bucket, emptied it into a plastic bag and put it in the concierge cupboard.

"As a result of the accused's (Cameron House hotel) failure to keep the cupboard free of combustibles, ash and embers ignited and fire spread in the main building."

About 70 firefighters fought the blaze at the main building of the hotel, which saw the roof collapse.

The court heard the hotel operator had been warned of the risks of keeping combustibles in the cupboard during a fire safety audit, and the general manager had then highlighted the issue to staff.

Cameron House admitted it failed to have in place safe systems of work in respect of the removal and disposal of ash and embers from the hotel's solid fuel fires and maintenance and emptying of metal bins in the rear yard for storing ash and embers.

It also admitted it failed to keep cupboards containing potential ignition sources free of combustibles and failed to ensure employees were provided with the necessary instruction, training and supervision in respect of the safe removal and disposal of ash and embers from the hotel's solid fuel fires.

The court heard a plastic bag was used to dispose of ashes on 15 December and again on 18 December 2017, the latter with tragic consequences.

Peter Gray QC, representing Cameron House, said the failings were not deliberate breaches but occurred "as a result of genuine errors". He said an absence of formal procedures for dealing with ashes and embers gave staff the opportunity to improvise.

Mr Gray said the "improper use" of a plastic bag was noted and the member of staff warned after the incident on 15 December and that it was "difficult to understand" why a plastic bag was used again on 18 December.

He said: "I am instructed to extend my deepest sympathies from the accused to the families of Mr Midgley and Mr Dyson.

"Cameron House hotel is one of the leading hotels in Scotland, it takes pride in its reputation and sets itself the highest standards in relation to all that it does and endeavours to ensure the safety of its guests.

"It takes its duties to ensure the safety of its guests extremely seriously."

The case, before Sheriff William Gallacher, continues.

Photo courtesy of Crown Office

The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Check mark icon
Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.

close

Ad Blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an adblocker and – although we support freedom of choice – we would like to ask you to enable ads on our site. They are an important revenue source which supports free access of our website's content, especially during the COVID-19 crisis.

trade tracker pixel tracking