The Caterer
Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

Barclay brothers battle for the Maybourne Hotel Group returns to court

05 February 2013 by

McKillen won the right to appeal against an earlier High Court decision regarding the battle between the two parties for ultimate control of the company, after previously losing a lengthy trial - costing around £20m - against Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay.

It is believed that McKillen will question the High Court judge's interpretation of the shareholders agreement signed by investors in Coroin, the company set up by financier Derek Quinlan to buy the three hotels, along with the Savoy in 2004. The Savoy was sold the following year to Prince Alwaleed bin Talal of Saudi Arabia.

McKillen believes that the shareholders agreement was broken when Quinlan transferred his control of the company to the Barclay brothers, who already own London's Ritz hotel. He is also expected to argue that pre-emption rights to allow existing shareholder to buy out others had been triggered because security held by a number of Quinlan's creditors had been triggered for non-payment of debts.

The Barclay brothers currently have a 64% stake in the business, with Mckillen holding the remaining 36%.

The appeal is expected to take around two months to be heard.

Battle for control of Maybourne Group continues as McKillen wins right to appeal >>

Barclay brothers score High Court victory over battle for Maybourne Hotel Group >>

By Janet Harmer

E-mail your comments to Janet Harmer here.

Tabletalk
Tabletalk
If you have something to say on this story or anything else join the debate at Table Talk - Caterer's new networking forum. Go to www.catererandhotelkeeper.com/tabletalk

Catererandhotelkeeper.com jobs

Looking for a new job? Find your next job here with Catererandhotelkeeper.com jobs

Blogs on Catererandhotelkeeper.com ](http://www.catererandhotelkeeper.com/blogs) Catch up with more news and gossip on all Caterer's blogs
[E-Newsletters](http://www.catererandhotelkeeper.com/email-newsletters.htm)[ For the latest hospitality news, sign up for our E-newsletters
Â
TagsHotels
The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Check mark icon
Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.

close

Ad Blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an adblocker and – although we support freedom of choice – we would like to ask you to enable ads on our site. They are an important revenue source which supports free access of our website's content, especially during the COVID-19 crisis.

trade tracker pixel tracking