A Newquay hotel's chimney and a third of its roof were ripped off by gale force winds, as inclement weather continues to sweep the country.
Glass panels in the bar terrace area of the Sutherland hotel on Mount Wise had also been damaged by the falling debris and steel chimney flue, reported the Cornish Guardian.
Sean Taylor, watch manager at Newquay Fire Station, said: "When we arrived it looked like a chimney flue had come off the side of the building along with a lot of roofing material which had smashed down onto the bar terrace and into the road.
"There was a high risk of injury to anyone walking along the road or driving and in conjunction with the police we decided to close a section of the road until tradesman came today to fix the roof."
The owners of the Sutherland hotel declined to comment.