The five-red-AA-star, Grade II*-listed Palé Hall hotel in Llandderfel, Gwynedd, has opened its new all-day restaurant as part of a wider refurbishment project. Previously the home of Palé Hall’s formal dining room, the Huntsman (named after the game-inspired antique bar), is a new concept from head chef Gareth Stevenson, offering English classics in a casual, bistro-style environment.
The refurbishment will also involve the addition of four bedrooms and four guesthouses within the estate. Works are expected to be complete by May 2020.
- Opened 17 January
- Covers 40
- Head chef Gareth Stevenson
- Owners Alan and Angela Harper
- Typical dishes Welsh Black beef sirloin, café de Paris butter, chips and watercress; beerbattered cod, garden peas, tartare sauce and chips; roasted chicken breast, parsnip, pearl barley, chicken sauce
Ampéli is an Eastern Mediterranean restaurant in London’s Fitzrovia, with a wine list curated by Master of Wine Yiannis Karakasis. Front of house is led by Lorraine Abrahams, who previously worked with Corbin & King.
- Founder Jenny Pagoni
- Head chef Oren Goldfeld
- Typical dishes Pan-fried Welsh lamb sweetbreads, Jerusalem mixed spice, almond sauce, pickles; short rib stew, quince, date molasses
Bar Douro City
Bar Douro has opened a second site in the new Finsbury Avenue development at London’s Broadgate. The space, which is larger than the original, is decorated with hand-painted Portuguese tiles, with an open kitchen, counter seating and a dining room.
- Design Steph Gallia
- Typical dishes Arroz de sapateira crab rice; pork à alentejana; squash with homemade requeijão; salt cod hash; presa Ibérico with kale migas
Parisian brand Big Fernand has opened its first UK site in London’s South Kensington, serving burgers as well as a light breakfast menu.
- Founders Steve Burggraf, Guillaume Pagliano and Alexandre Auriac
- Typical dishes Beef burger with Morbier cheese, smoked bacon, roasted peppers, chives, pesto sauce; chicken burger with Tomme de Savoie cheese, grilled aubergines, fried onions, tarragon barbecue sauce; duck and pâté de foie gras burger
Oklava Bakery + Wine
Selin Kiazim and Laura Christie have launched a new concept on the site of their former restaurant Kyseri in London’s Fitzrovia. The bakery produces Turkish baked goods and Christie has curated a wine list showcasing small producers across Turkey, Armenia, Lebanon, Georgia and Greece.
- Typical dish Tepsi kebab: spiced beef and lamb baked kofte, yogurt and brown butter with house bread and chopped salad
Helen Hall, Luke West-Whylie and Ben McVeigh have opened a site in London’s Peckham, consisting of a wine bar, restaurant and wine shop. The 80-strong wine list has been curated by sommelier McVeigh, formerly head sommelier at 28-50 Fetter Lane. Hall oversees the kitchen alongside head chef Jay Claus; while West-Whylie leads the front of house team.
- Typical dishes Cornish brill, fava, salsa verde; onglet, Colston Bassett, smashed potatoes, aïoli
Filipino-inspired restaurant Sarap has opened in London’s Brixton Village, offering small and large sharing plates, low-intervention wines and Filipino-branded and local craft beers.
- Covers 25
- Chef-owner Ferdinand Montoya
- Typical dish Lechon liempo: slow-roasted pork belly rolled and stuffed with lemongrass, ginger, garlic, chilli, coconut vinegar and soy sauce, served with liver sauce, spiced coconut vinegar, atchara pickle
You need to create an account to read this article. It's free and only requires a few basic details.
Already subscribed? Log In