Search
The Caterer

Woman awarded £250,000 in damages after chicken liver food poisoning

20 January 2016 by
Woman awarded £250,000 in damages after chicken liver food poisoning

A woman has won more than £250,000 in damages after a meal at an Edinburgh restaurant gave her food poisoning that led to life-changing consequences.

Tracey Rae contracted the campylobacter bug after eating a warm chicken liver and beetroot salad during an evening out at the Scotch Malt Whisky Society's restaurant in St Giles Street, Leith, in 2009.

She sued James Freeman, trading as Saffron Private Catering, with a place of business in Berwick upon Tweet, after the infection led to irritable bowel syndrome and made her intolerant to certain foods, according to the Edinburgh Evening News.

The defendant admitted liability and jurors awarded Rae in excess of £263,000 including £175,000 for future loss of earnings and employability and £50,000 for pain and suffering.

They also decided she should receive more than £30,000 for past and future cost of food and dietary supplements.

Her junior counsel Dana Forbes told jurors that Mrs Rae's life changed dramatically.

She said that six months later Rae, 44, of Reddingmuirhead, Falkirk, in Stirlingshire, was diagnosed with post-infection irritable bowel syndrome and added: "It is likely to be permanent as are its symptoms."

"She now has intolerance to certain foods and has to follow a restricted diet."

Oyster herpes found in Essex river >>Chef and manager jailed over pub Christmas dinner death >>

Food Standards Agency acts on food hygiene poll >>

The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!