Hospitality apprentices across the UK were recognised for their dedication and passion for the industry at the 2023 Purple Umbrella Awards held at BAFTA 195 in London's Piccadilly.
The flora-themed event took place on 8 September and was hosted by 2012 MasterChef winner Shelina Permalloo.
Twelve awards, as well as a series of highly commended certificates, were given to apprentices and industry figures on the night.
Apprentices from businesses such as Home Grown Hotels, Lime Wood hotel and the Farncombe Estate received recognition for their growth over the past 12 to 18 months, while Piers Zangana, director of Susa Comms, took home the Special Award for his commitment to the Woman.Life.Freedom campaign, which raises awareness of human rights violation in Iran.
Individuals from Iconic Luxury Hotels, CH&Co, the Goring and Red Carnation Hotels were also among the winners.
Adele Oxberry, founder of Umbrella Training, said: "A huge congratulations to all this year's finalists and award winners. Hospitality is, and will continue to be, one of the UK's most amazing sectors, not only providing incredible value to the UK's economy, but to communities as well.
"These individuals form the backbone of so many hotels, restaurants, pubs and foodservice businesses, and having supported their employers and the industry over the last few years, they are now leading it towards a bright future.
She added: "The judges had a tough task with such a high calibre of entries this year. Every one of the finalists should be very proud of what they have achieved."
The apprentices were nominated for the awards by their employers. Winners were selected by a panel of industry experts, including Harry Murray, Hospitality Action chief executive Mark Lewis and Be Inclusive Hospitality founder Lorraine Copes.
The full list of winners
- Best Level 2 Apprentice: Florin Tucan, the Fish hotel, Farncombe Estate
- Best Chef Apprentice: Eleanor Wright, the Pig at Combe, Home Grown Hotels
- Best Level 3 Apprentice: Russell Johnson, Lime Wood hotel
- Best Level 4 Apprentice: David Chenesseau, Mayfair Townhouse, Iconic Luxury Hotels
- Best Level 5 Apprentice: Ben Jeffrey, Ironmongers' Hall, CH&Co
- Best Umbrella Alumni: Emma Mackey, Red Carnation Hotels
- Best Apprentice from Another Further Education Provider: Niamh Fagan, Farncombe Life, Farncombe Estate
- Special Award: Piers Zangana, director, Susa Comms
- Hospitality Passion Award: Alicia Morley Blackett, the Pig at Combe, Home Grown Hotels
- Hospitality Spirit Award: James Walde, the Goring
- Continuous Learning in Hospitality Award: Marshall Bax, the Pig at Bridge Place, Home Grown Hotels
- Hospitality Dedication Award: Lewis Rosser, DoubleTree by Hilton Leeds City Centre, Valor Hospitality
Umbrella Training was founded by Adele Oxberry in 2012 and has since supported the recruitment, development and progression of more than 4,500 apprentices across hotels, restaurants, contract caterers and corporate services across the UK.