A Staffordshire hotelier has bought a landmark hotel opposite Crewe railway station in South Cheshire.
The new proprietor of the three-star Crewe Arms hotel is Harpreet Singh, who also owns the Crown in Stone, Staffordshire.
The hotel, which was built in 1836 by Lord Crewe in 1836 and once played host to Queen Victoria, is one of the few original buildings in the 19th century ‘new town' of Crewe.
It has a prime location in Nantwich Road, just off the M6, which puts it in easy reach from Manchester, Liverpool, and Birmingham.
The Crewe Arms has extensive conference facilities and is also a popular leisure and wedding venue.
Facilities include 61 en-suite bedrooms to sleep 120, a lounge, a 75-seat residents' bar, the 85-seat Sophia's restaurant for guests and non-residents, a small residents' leisure suite with exercise bikes and treadmills, and parking for 120 cars to the front and rear.
The seven dedicated conference rooms can accommodate a total of around 210 people and range from a 15-capacity rooms to one that can hold 80 people.
The hotel also has planning permission convert several ground floor offices and unused areas into a self-contained wedding and conference venue for up to 150 people.
It achieved trading profits of £338,000 on net sales of £1.3m in the year to 30 November 2006.
The Manchester office of Colliers Robert Barry sold the freehold off a guide price of £3.1m on behalf of Sarac Hotels.
By Angela Frewin