A Chinese restaurant in Edinburgh has been fined £18,000 after an environmental health team found "filthy" conditions in the kitchen including mouse droppings on dishes.
Council inspectors found that a cellar floor at The Rainbow Arch was covered in wet mouldy cardboard and a noticed "a foul black substance resembling sewage debris".
They also discovered that an area used to cool food was close to a courtyard infested with pigeons and a drain that had overflowed.
The restaurant was closed for 24 hours following the visit by inspectors on 28 April. A return visit on 5 October again found problems with cleanliness and staff hygiene and the premises were shut down for a second time, this time for a week.
Owner Henry Tse pleaded guilty to nine charges at the Morrison Street premises at Edinburgh Sheriff Court.
Sheila Gilmore, Edinburgh Council community safety leader, told BBC Scotland: "This case demonstrates that we will not hesitate to use our powers to protect the public and to take action where it is warranted.
"We are grateful that the sheriff reflected the severity of the offence with the fine imposed. We are glad to say that the majority of food businesses in the city adhere to the required food hygiene standards."
By Daniel Thomas