More Scottish seafood trouble after common cockles pulled from market over toxins

01 August 2013 by
More Scottish seafood trouble after common cockles pulled from market over toxins

Argyll and Bute Council in Scotland has issued a warning against eating common cockles from the local loch after environmental searches suggested dangerously-increased levels of bacteria.

Published today, the announcement said cockles from Campbeltown Loch at Kildalloig Bay should not be put on the market for the next two months, from 1 August to 30 September, due to the potential "risk to human health".

Commercial harvesters have been contacted while signs around the area itself will warn the public of the possible hazard.

The decision comes following a slew of bad news for Scottish shellfish, with Shetland mussels withdrawn due to high levels of toxins late last month, and a shellfish toxin warning issued for Fife just weeks before that.

It is thought that the micro bacteria causing the increased toxin levels are due to naturally-occurring algae growth, spurred on by the recent unusually warm weather.

Shetland mussels withdrawn after toxins and poisoning reported >>

The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Check mark icon
Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.

close

Ad Blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an adblocker and – although we support freedom of choice – we would like to ask you to enable ads on our site. They are an important revenue source which supports free access of our website's content, especially during the COVID-19 crisis.

trade tracker pixel tracking