Although, in the current climate, consumers may not be eating out as much as before, when they do, it's indulgence they want from their experience. Mintel research indicates that almost half of UK consumers like to treat themselves to a dessert when away from home.
However, some customers feel that dessert menus lack variety. Emily Frank, brand manager for frozen desserts specialist Alveston Kitchens, explains: "Half of consumers who look at a dessert menu out of home choose not to have one, partly because of the limited choice in comparison to starters and mains."
Making desserts from scratch isn't always feasible for operators, because of skill or time shortages. It is here that value-added ready-made options such as chilled and frozen desserts step in.
There has been a shift towards sales of premium products in the frozen desserts sector, and the arrival of new brands and products saw a 2% growth in sales in 2007 compared with the previous year.
Alveston Kitchens, from Heinz Foodservice, prides itself on using high-quality ingredients in its 90strong range of frozen desserts. They are given a hand-finished presentation so that consumers will never realise that they were frozen, and advice is available to operators about what consumers want on a menu, how they make their purchasing decisions and how they can be persuaded to pay more.
Buy It! has teamed up with Alveston Kitchens, which celebrates its 40th anniversary this year, to offer one lucky reader a Scanfrost Patisserie and Dessert Display Cabinet from AHT UK, worth more than £1,300.
HOW TO ENTER
One lucky reader who can answer the question below correctly will win this amazing prize.
All entries must be submitted on a postcard by 15 November 2008. Entrants should include their name, job title, company name and address and contact telephone number. Send entries to: Buy It!/Alveston Kitchens Competition, Caterer and Hotelkeeper, Quadrant House, The Quadrant, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5AS.
What proportion of UK consumers admit that they like to treat themselves to a dessert out of home?
c) Almost half
The winner will receive a model ERF 400 Scanfrost Patisserie and Dessert Display Cabinet to display chilled products. The unit, with its triple-glazed glass door, has five adjustable shelves and lockable castors fitted as standard, and is rated as Climate Class 3.
Vertical illumination in all corners of the cabinet ensures that products are displayed in the most eye-catching way.
For further information on Heinz Foodservice visit www.heinzsight.co.uk or call 0800 575755.
For further information on AHT UK visit http://www.caravell.co.uk or call 01280 826600.
|And the winner is … The winner of the Imperial Catering Equipment competition in the 28 August issue of *Buy It!* is Jane Colbourne, procurement manager, Hospitality and Accommodation Services, University of Birmingham.|
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This competition is not open to employees or agents of Reed Business Information or Heinz
- We reserve the right to change the prize without notice, and no cash alternative will be offered.
- The winner will be selected at random from correct entries, and the publisher's decision is final.
- Reed Business Information will use the contact information you provide to communicate with you on behalf of the Caterer Group. We may also use the information you have provided to send direct marketing material from ourselves relating to other products and services that may be of interest to you. Your information may also be disclosed to other companies which wish to send you information about their products and services, including our sponsor Heinz. This could involve data transfer to countries outside the European Economic Area. For further information and choices, please visit our data protection page at www.reedbusiness.co.uk/dataprotection, or write to us at RBI, Freepost RCC2619, Haywards Heath RH16 3BR, UK.
- The winner's name will appear in Caterer and Hotelkeeper and on Caterersearch.com.