Michael Caines was the recipient of the Craft Guild of Chefs’ Special Award last night at the London Hilton on Park Lane.
The chef-patron of the 21-bedroom, Michelin-starred Lympstone Manor in Devon won the top award at the glittering ceremony hosted by chef James Tanner, with a total of 17 awards handed out to chefs from across the industry.
The full roster of winners included:
• Apprentice chef award: Paige Hill, Royal Garden hotel, London
• Armed services chef award: Cpl David Davey-Smith, Royal Air Force
• Banqueting and event chef award: Gemma Amor, executive chef, Ascot racecourse (Sodexo), Windsor
• Chef lecturer award: Andrea Ruff, pastry lecturer, the Claire Clark Academy, Milton Keynes
• Chef’s favourite branded restaurant group: Miller & Carter
• Competition chef award: Cpl Ian Mark, chef instructor, Royal Air Force
• Contract catering chef award: James Larkins, group executive chef, Compass Group
• Development chef award: Laurence Tottingham, business development chef, Oliver Kay (Bidfresh)
• Innovation award: Andrew Clarke, chef patron/head chef, St Leonards, London
• New restaurant of the year award: Alex Bond, chef, Alchemilla, Nottingham
• Pastry chef award: Sarah Frankland, head pastry chef, Pennyhill Park hotel, Bagshot, Surrey
• People’s choice award: Murray Chapman, First Contact
• Pub restaurant chef award: Dave Wall, head chef and partner, the Unruly Pig, Bromeswell, Suffolk
• Public sector chef award: Ryan Hopper, regional executive chef, ESS Defence (Compass Group)
• Restaurant chef award: Pascal Canevet, chef-patron, La Maison Bleue, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
• Young chef award: Rick Owens, commis chef, Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons, Great Milton, Oxfordshire
• Special award: Michael Caines, chef-patron, Lympstone Manor, Devon
Guests enjoyed a four-course menu created by executive chef Anthony Marshall and his team comprising: three colour beetroot with fresh goats curd, cherry gel and pistachio and hazelnut granola; lobster ravioli; Scottish beef served with morels, asparagus and Emmental potato thyme sauce followed desserts vanilla, Cointreau, raspberry, pear or chocolate cremeux, passion fruit, freeze-dried dark balsamic foam.
Ducasse, Smyth and Hartnett honoured at Craft Guild of Chefs Awards >>