Advertising is in many instances expensive, time consuming and baffling. What begins as being a good idea and something that "everyone does" ends in tears as the invoice arrives but the added custom doesn't. But there are some simple guidelines that will help make your advertising work, with minimum time and effort.
Because everyone else does? Not a good enough reason. Arm yourself with a reason to advertise and you are on the right road to effective advertising. For example:
- Make a special offer in a period when custom is slack
- Tell people about your refurbishment, your new extension, or your new menu
- Target a certain market that you know your product or service will appeal to, for example older people or singles
- Simply tell people where you are and what you are selling.
Where should you advertise?
Once you have decided why you are advertising it becomes much easier to focus on where you should be spending your money.
There are some key guidelines:
- Match your advertising medium to your desired market
- Price-led advertising featuring a special rate or offer should have an advertising medium that is only in circulation for a suitable period
- General awareness advertising may cost more; be sure it in a publication that will stay around for a sustained period to justify the higher cost.