According to the NPD Group, Americans bought about 600 million cups of iced coffee at quick-serve venues in the year to March 2007 (37% increase). This growth rate has been maintained, with sales rising by 38% from March 2007 to March 2008.
Interestingly, in the States, iced coffee is very popular with women and teenage girls. Teens thrive on the hit from the caffeine while many women gravitate to iced coffee's aura of being lower in calories, according to NPD consumer guru, Harry Balzer.
In the UK, major High Street operators such as Caffe Nero and Starbucks have iced coffees on their menu but the opportunity has not been taken up by the rest of the catering industry to the same extent.
Martin Lines, marketing director, Nestlé Professional is a convert, 'It's a refreshing drink, quick and easy to make and if the Met Office is right, we're in for a good summer. Iced coffee will be a great addition to the drinks menu across the spectrum of outlets from hotels, cafés, pubs to business and industry' he commented.
Add freezing frappe chocolate and iced tea for a summer beverage menu.
Important : use double the quantity of Nescafé granules to that used for hot coffee.
- 2tsp Nescafé coffee granules
- 2tbsp freshly boiled water
- 200ml ice-cold milk
- 6-8 ice cubes
- Sugar, to taste (optional)
- In sealable jar, combine Nescafé coffee, sugar and warm water. Cover the jar and shake until it is foamy. Pour into a glass full of ice. Fill the glass with milk. Adjust to taste if necessary.
- Alternatively, spoon the Nescafé granules into a glass or shaker, add the hot water and stir or shake until dissolved. Add the milk and ice and stir again until mixed. Add sugar to taste.
FREEZING CHOCOLATE FRAPPE
(Makes 1 drink)
- 1 heaped scoop Nestlé AERO Hot Chocolate
- 90ml (6tbsp) cold water
- large heaped mug full of ice
- Pour the water into a blender and add the AERO hot chocolate. Blitz on a low setting until well mixed. Add the ice and blitz until well blended.
- Pour into a tall glass and serve
For more information about the Nescafé iced coffees, call 0800 742 842 or visit the Nescafé website.