Pubs and restaurants reduce prices for Tax Parity Day

25 September 2013 by
Pubs and restaurants reduce prices for Tax Parity Day

Pubs and restaurants across the country are reducing their prices today as part of tax parity day.

The initiative, organised by the VAT club spearheaded by Jacques Borel, is designed to encourage the Treasury to drop VAT for hospitality from 20%.

As many as 15,000 restaurant and pub businesses across 44 firms are expected to take part in the day, with the majority lowering prices by 7.5%.

Borel and his fellow campaigners hope that the day will highlight what they see as the unfairness of the current system, where supermarkets pay 0% VAT on food.

He told Caterer and Hotelkeeper that at least 10,000 businesses, 40% of which are estimated to be restaurants and another 60% of which are pubs, were ready to take part in Tax Parity Day, including managed pub giant JD Wetherspoon.

The businesses are cutting prices by 7.5% because it equates to passing on around 60% of the tax cut they are campaigning for. The other 40% would be used for wider benefits such as higher wages and investment in facilities.

Kent chef-restaurateur backs Tax Parity Day campaign with 7.5% price cut in menu prices >>

Cut VAT on food and create 670,000 jobs, Borel claims >>

The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Check mark icon
Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.


Ad Blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an adblocker and – although we support freedom of choice – we would like to ask you to enable ads on our site. They are an important revenue source which supports free access of our website's content, especially during the COVID-19 crisis.

trade tracker pixel tracking