Winners of LACA Awards for Excellence 2015 announced
Winners of the LACA (the Lead Association for CAtering in Education) Awards for Excellence 2015 were announced yesterday.
The annual award ceremony, which recognises the education food industry's most committed, innovative and successful schools and individuals across the UK, took place at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole hotel.
More than 600 people attended LACA's Main Event gala dinner and ceremony which was presented by Dr David Bull.
The 13 awards included the introduction of two new awards from the Department for Education. The School Food Achievement
Award was presented to primary school Bolsover C of E Junior School and secondary school Kesteven & Grantham Girls School.
The two winners were announced by Thom Crabbe from the Department for Education and Skills.
Judges chose the two schools they deemed to have shown exceptional standards in catering and food education within the whole school environment.
In November last year the then Minister for Schools David Laws announced the awards would be introduced as part of the LACA Awards for Excellence.
Among other winners were the Durham Recruitment and Training Team which won Specialist Catering Team of the Year and Pat Fellows who won the prestigious accolade - the Roger Davis Outstanding Achievement Award.
The final award of the night - LACA Chair's Award - which was presented by current chair Carrieanne Bishop went to Roger Kellow from Hobart UK.
Bishop said this award recognises the help given to the chair during their time in office. She said it was a difficult choice to make as so many people have helped her throughout her 18-months.
Kellow was described as someone who has always been supportive to not only the chair but LACA as a whole.
The evening also included a presentation to LACA School Chef of the Year 2015 Kate Davies from Caerphilly Council and a charity raffle in aid of Black Country Foodbank which raised £5,100.
Full list of winners:
- Catering Business of the Year - HC3S Management Team
- Specialist Caterer/Catering Team of the Year - Durham Recruitment and Training Team
- Primary School Catering Team of the Year - Green Lane Primary School - Taylor Shaw
- Secondary School Catering Team of the Year - Walbottle Campus - Newcastle County Council
- Education Catering Marketing Award - Chartwells Marketing
- The Nan Berger Memorial Award - Chartwells Nutrition & Isle of Wight Teams
- Roger Davis Outstanding Achievement Award - Pat Fellows
- Self Delivered/In-House Catering Operation - Sticklepath Catering Team
- Change4Life Award - Solihull Catering Service
- Department for Education School Food Achievement Award - Primary - Bolsover C of E Junior School
- Department for Education School Food Achievement Award - Secondary - Kesteven & Grantham Girls School
- Outstanding Supplier of the Year Award - Cool Milk
- Chair's Award - Roger Kellow
*Is it time for a change? See all the current contract catering vacancies available with The Caterer* Jobs >>
Public Sector Focus: LACA School Chef of the Year Kate Davies >>
LACA School Chef of the Year 2015 finalists announced >>
Latest video from The Caterer