The National Chef of the Year 2021 finalists have been revealed ahead of the final stage of the competition next month.
The 10 finalists (listed below) were judged on their marks from the entry stage of the competition and their submissions of dishes that summed them up in just two or three bites.
While the early stages of this year's competition had to be adapted due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the final will see the contestants battle it out at the stove during a cook-off at Le Cordon Bleu, London, on 7 September, with the winner announced on 30 September.
Judging the final will be Paul Ainsworth, chef-patron of the Paul Ainsworth Collection; Clare Smyth, chef-patron of Core by Clare Smyth in London; Niall Keating, executive chef at Whatley Manor in Malmesbury, Wiltshire; and Claude Bosi of Bibendum restaurant, London.
Chair of judges Paul Ainsworth said: "I'm confident we have an amazing line-up of finalists from some incredible establishments and businesses. I can't wait to taste the dishes in a few weeks' time, as ultimately that's what this competition is all about."
Organiser of the competition, David Mulcahy, added: "While we have had to tweak how the final is run, many things remain the same. We have 10 brilliant chefs cooking for the best judges in the industry and what a special winner they are going to find. I really hope that on the 30 September, chefs in kitchens across the UK tune in to support the competitors and watch the final and the live announcement. There has never been a more important time for the industry to come together in this way and show everyone how much talent our culinary scene has to offer."
The winner will be revealed from 1pm on Wednesday 30 September. Tune in by following the Craft Guild of Chefs social media channels or visiting www.nationalchefoftheyear.co.uk
- Fraser Bruce, head chef, Fraser Bruce @ the Fish Shed, St Ives
- Nathan Cornwell, head chef, the Barn at Moor Hall, Ormskirk
- Ben Drake, senior sous chef, the Elephant by Simon Hulstone, Torquay
- Derek Johnstone, head chef, Borthwick Castle, East Lothian
- Sarah-Jasmina Moussabih, head chef, Finnish Embassy, London
- April Lily Partridge, chef, the Ledbury, London
- Marcin Pomierny, head chef, the Maids Head hotel, Norwich
- Nick Smith, head chef, Vacherin /Ashurst, London
- Dominic South, head chef, Corinthia hotel, London
- Thomas Swaby, senior sous chef, Roux at Parliament Square, London