Search
The Caterer

Judge slams ‘filthy' restaurant kitchen

27 July 2004
Judge slams ‘filthy' restaurant kitchen

A Chinese restaurant in Brighton has been fined £14,000 after cockroaches were found in the kitchen.

An environmental health officer visited China Garden in Preston Street last December after a customer complained of poor hygiene.

The officer found traps with live and dead cockroaches, food debris, and cables covered in grease, and saw a kitchen assistant sneeze in his hand and wipe it on his clothes.

China Garden proprietor Kwai Cheung, 45, pleaded guilty to seven counts of breaching the Food Hygiene Act at Lewes Crown Court on Friday. Three other charges were left on file.

The court heard that Cheung had no previous convictions. His company has a turnover of just under £1m a year. It was fined £2,000 for each count.

Judge Simon Coltart also ordered Cheung to pay £4,800 costs within three months or face prison.

He added: "The kitchen was in a disgracefully filthy condition and extremely poor state of repair. It has been said that nobody has ever been poisoned as a result of it. That is true, but perhaps that is more only good luck than anything else.

"It's quite clear conditions were ripe for contamination even though it had not actually occurred."

The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.

close

Ad Blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an adblocker and – although we support freedom of choice – we would like to ask you to enable ads on our site. They are an important revenue source which supports free access of our website's content, especially during the COVID-19 crisis.