A Frankie & Benny's restaurant has apologised after it served a toddler whisky instead of fruit juice at his birthday party.
Two-year-old Sonny Rees drank the 40% proof whisky at the Frankie & Benny's restaurant in Swansea. His mother, Nina Rees, only spotted the mistake after he had finished the drink.
"We went to the restaurant just after midday and I had ordered him lime juice and water, his favourite," she told the BBC. "The drinks arrived and I was encouraging him to take sips because he was eating salty things. We had finished our first course when we noticed he was pulling a face as he was drinking.
"I took it from him and took a sip myself. It was whisky, I would say a double. As soon as I sipped it I had the slight burny feeling in my throat and warming in my chest. Sonny had taken about 10 sips - he was obviously intoxicated. I immediately went into a panic and a rage - I was crying my eyes out."
The toddler was taken to accident and emergency at Morriston Hospital, Swansea, where he was kept under observation by doctors. He is now recovering at home.
The restaurant is investigating how the incident happened. A Frankie and Benny's spokesman said: "The company is incredibly sorry for what happened. It was a human error and we are putting measures in place to ensure it never happens again."
By Janie Manzoori-Stamford
E-mail your comments to Janie Manzoori-Stamford here.
Looking for a new job? Find your next job here with Catererandhotelkeeper.com jobs