The Master Innholders has announced that 20 hoteliers have been successful in gaining a place on its Hotel Management Scholarship Programme next year.
Funded through the Worshipful Company of Innholders, the Savoy Educational Trust, the Master Innholders Charitable Trust, and the Lord Forte Foundation, the scholarships are presented to applicants who lack the financial means to complete some of the world's most prestigious hotel management courses which cost around £10,000.
Scholars will now attend courses at either Cornell University in the US, École Hôtelière de Lausanne in Switzerland, or Cranfield University School of Management in Bedford. Applications for next year's courses rose 37% compared with 2014.
Jonathan Raggett, chairman of the Master Innholders, said: "Every year, the Master Innholders supports the hotel sector's rising stars through the world's most prestigious hotel management programmes. We are delighted to announce the names of our 2015 scholars and it is heartening to see more and more applications coming through from boutique and independent hotels."
The full list of winners are:
Cornell General Managers Programme
- Paul Bayliss, general manager, Macdonald Hotel Manchester
- James Clarke, director of operations, London Hilton on Park Lane
- Daniel Pedreschi, general manager, Park Plaza, Westminster
- Sharon Thandi, general manager, Novotel Birmingham
- Serena von der Heyde, general manager, The Georgian House
Cranfield Directors Programme
- Tim Hassell, managing director, Ilsington Country House Hotel
Cranfield Talent Development Programme
- Dominic Abbott, assistant general manager, Calcot Manor
- Pedro da Silva, interim general manager, Holiday Inn, Camden Lock
- Nicola Dorkings, deputy general manager, Hotel du Vin, Tunbridge Wells
- Michelle Hudd, deputy general manager, Scarlet Hotel
- Edwin Kramer, hotel manager, London Edition
- Philip Lewis, resident manager, Metropolitan by COMO
- Martin Newbould, hotel manager, Ace Hotel
- Mark Surguy, hotel operations manager, South Lodge Hotel
- Edward White, director of operations, Renaissance St Pancras
- Robert Wombill, front office manager, Brown's Hotel
- Ben Woodward, front office manager. Lucknam Park
- Adam Worthington, general manager, Harts Hotel
- Alix Young, hotel manager, The Pear Tree at Purton
Lausanne Executive Education Programme
- Benjamin Veale, assistant manager, The Ritz