Jason Atherton was named Outstanding London Chef at last night's London Restaurant Awards which took place at the Grosvenor House hotel.
Atherton, chef-patron of the Michelin-starred Maze and Maze Grill, beat shortlisted chefs Anthony Demetre, Chris Galvin, Mark Hix, Rowley Leigh and Theo Randall to the title and told Caterersearch he was elated to have won.
"It's a great honour to have won this award and I'm really proud," he said. "To have come top in a group of such high calibre chefs is a fantastic achievement."
Other winners included Chris and Jeff Galvin whose Galvin Bistrot de Luxe won Best French Restaurant of the Year, as well as Rowley Leigh, whose restaurant Le Café Anglais picked up two awards, New Restaurant of the Year and aAim London Restaurant of the Year.
The 2008 London Restaurant Awards were judged by a panel including restaurant critics Charles Campion (Evening Standard); Fay Maschler (Evening Standard); Giles Coren (The Times); Jay Rayner (The Observer); Matthew Norman (The Guardian); Terry Durack (The Independent); and Tracey Macleod (The Independent).
The London Restaurant Awards winners:
- Best British Restaurant of the Year: Great Queen Street
- Best French Restaurant of the Year: Galvin Bistrot de Luxe
- Best Italian Restaurant of the Year: Theo Randall at the InterContinental Park Lane
- Iberian Restaurant of the Year: Barrafina
- Oriental Restaurant of the Year: Aaya
- Indian Restaurant of the Year: Tayyabs
- Local Restaurant of the Year: Market, Camden
- New Restaurant of the Year: Le Café Anglais
- Evening Standard Award "60 under £60": Sam's Brasserie
- Toptable.com Best Business Lunch: The Wolseley
- Outstanding Restaurant Service: The Greenhouse
- Best Restaurant Chain of the Year: Carluccio's
- Restaurateur of the Year: Michael Belben
- Award of Excellence: The Greenhouse
- aAim London Restaurant of the Year: Le Café Anglais
- Academy of Award for Outstanding Contribution: Mark Hix
- Outstanding London Chef: Jason Atherton
Top 10 Restaurants Outside of London:
- Anthony's, Leeds
- Le Champignon Sauvage, Cheltenham
- L'Enclume, Cartmel
- Fat Duck, Bray, Berkshire
- The Kitchin, Edinburgh
- Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons, Oxfordshire
- Northcote Manor, Blackburn
- Purnell's, Birmingham
- Restaurant Sat Bains, Nottingham
- The Waterside Inn, Bray, Berkshire
By Kerstin Kühn
E-mail your comments to Kerstin Kühn here.