Hospitality sweethearts 14 February 2020 The couples who make working together and living together a love story
In this week's issue...Hospitality sweethearts The couples who make working together and living together a love story
Read More
Search
The Caterer

Restaurant fined after cockroach found in food

17 February 2014 by
Restaurant fined after cockroach found in food

A Chinese restaurant in Liverpool was closed down on the spot by food hygiene inspectors, after a customer found a cockroach in their food.

The Shangri La restaurant was closed for two weeks as it underwent a deep clean and pest control was brought in, following the customer's discovery.

Mrs Siew Hong Ho, managing director of the Shangri La restaurant, pleaded guilty to nine breaches of Food Hygiene Regulations. She was fined £2,200 and told to pay costs of £2,000, according to the Liverpool Echo.

District Judge Shaw, at Liverpool Magistrates Court said that the conditions in the Shangri La were a "disgrace".

Councillor Tim Moore, of Liverpool Council, said: "This was a well-known restaurant in Liverpool which ended up having to be shut down because of the appalling conditions.

"That a restaurant should have such little regard for the health of their customers is beyond belief. These fines should be a warning to any restaurateur who puts profit first."

A spokesman for the Shangri-La restaurant, on Victoria Street, said it had changed management in January - three months after the closure and that the kitchen was now in "good shape" following a wholesale change to kitchen staff.

The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!