Sat Bains has been named among the 100 Best Chefs in the World as voted for by two and three Michelin starred chefs.
The chef, who runs the two-Michelin starred Restaurant Sat Bains in Nottingham, is the only British chef on the list compiled by French magazine Le Chef.
The publication bases the list on a survey of 582 two- and three-Michelin starred chefs from around the world, asking each one to name five other chefs they believed best represented the values of their profession.
Michel Troisgros from Maison Troisgros in Ouches, France, was named as the best chef in the world for 2018, while Yannick Alleno from Alleno in Paris, France was second and Joan Roca from El Celler de Can Roca in Girona, Spain was third.
The list named six French chefs in the top 10, with Pierre Gagnaire, Emmanuel Renaut and Alain Ducasse, all making the cut.
Bains, who was named 84th on the list, said: "There's no greater honour than being voted for by your peers, and to be listed among chefs that I admire and look up to - and many I count among my friends - makes me very proud. It's an incredible feeling to be flying the flag for the UK in such a prestigious list."
The chef won his first Michelin star in 2003, before receiving a second Michelin star in the 2012 guide. He was recognised with the Cateys Chef Award 2015 and placed number one in the Sunday Times Top 100 Restaurants list that same year.
The top 10
- Michel Troisgros, Maison Troisgros Restaurant, France
- Yannick Alleno, Alleno Paris, France
- Joan Roca, El Celler De Can Roca, Spain
- Arnaud Donckele, Residence De La Pinede, France
- Pierre Gagnaire, Restaurant Pierre Gagnaire, France
- Emmanuel Renaut, Flocons De Sel, France
- Enrico Crippa, Piazza Duomo, Italy
- Pascal Barbot, L'Astrance, France
- Seiji Yamamoto, Nihonryori Ryugin, Japan
- Alain Ducasse, Plaza Athénée, France
Videos from The Caterer archives