Search
The Caterer

Restaurant owner found guilty of manslaughter following peanut allergy death

23 May 2016 by
Restaurant owner found guilty of manslaughter following peanut allergy death

A jury has found an Indian restaurant owner guilty of manslaughter after a man was reported to have died after eating food prepared at the restaurant.

Paul Wilson, 38, who had a severe allergy to peanuts, died in January last year after suffering an anaphylactic reaction having eaten a takeaway from the Indian Garden restaurant in Easingwold, north Yorkshire.

The bar manager died in the bathroom of the Oak Tree pub in Helperby, near Thirsk, where he worked.

His death sparked an investigation by the Food Standards Agency into the substitution of peanuts and almonds for more expensive cumin.

In March 2015, the Crown Prosecution Service announced that the Indian Garden restaurant owner Mohammed Khalique Zaman, 52, had been charged with manslaughter by gross negligence.

The court heard how the restaurateur had debts of £300,000 and was trying to save money.

Today, Zaman was found guilty of the charge by jurors at Teesside Crown Court, according to the BBC.

Restaurant owner charged with manslaughter over peanut death >>

Latest video from The Caterer

Are you looking for a new role? See all the current hospitality vacancies available with The Caterer Jobs >>

The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.