The winners of the National Association of Care Catering (NACC) Awards 2016 were announced at the East Midlands Conference Centre in Nottingham last night (6 October).
Around 200 people attended the gala dinner and awards ceremony, which formed part of the NACC Training and Development Forum.
The annual awards recognise the excellence, dedication and innovation of those within the care catering sector.
A total of eight awards were handed out, including new award category Care Catering Hero, which was won by Gareth O'Hara, a chef at Sunrise of Cardiff.
The Pam Rhodes Outstanding Achievement 2016 award was presented to Roger Denton, the national secretary of the NACC.
Neel Radia, chair of the NACC, praised Denton for consistently demonstrating commitment to the association, offering "innovative and forward thinking". The award was created in memory of Pam Rhodes who was described as a committed friend to care catering and the wider care sector.
The evening also included a charity raffle in aid of the Food Chain and Alzheimer's Society, which raised £2,335.
A group of six members of the NACC, including Radia, will take part in a tandem skydive tomorrow (8 October) to raise money for the two charities. So far, they have raised more than £5,000.
The team is calling on the support of industry colleagues to ensure they raise as much money as possible. To make a donation, click here.
The full list of winners
- Care Establishment of the Year Award - Lymewood Court, Orchard Care Homes
- Care Catering Hero Award - Gareth O'Hara, chef - Sunrise of Cardiff
- Catering Manager of the Year Award - James Clear, hotel services manager - Care UK
- Catering Team of the Year Award - Morden College Catering Team
- Meals on Wheels Award - Hertfordshire Independent Living Service
- Region of the Year Award - South-East Region
- Pam Rhodes Outstanding Achievement - Roger Denton
- Chairman's Award - Preston Walker
Latest video from The Caterer